Recruiter Ron Sunshine’s encore performance in Top Echelon Network has become a highly successful one.
Sunshine of Ron Sunshine Associates was once a Preferred Member of the Network back when it was called Nationwide Interchange Services (NIS). He rejoined in August of 2007, and since then he’s been slowly building momentum.
That momentum culminated with seven Network split placements in 2012. So far in 2013, Sunshine has made four split placements, putting him squarely on pace to enjoying his best year in Top Echelon since returning nearly six years ago.
Needless to say, we’re glad that Sunshine is back in the fold, and his success is just one reason that we wanted to feature him in our “Recruiter’s Resume” segment in The Pinnacle Newsletter Blog.
Another reason is that he’s been in the recruiting business for over 30 years. He’s compiled an impressive amount of recruiting experience, knowledge, and wisdom during that time, all of which we’d like to tap into . . .
— — —
What have been the keys to your success in Top Echelon Network?
“The people who are successful are the people who work the Network. I’m usually a job order recruiter, but if I see a job posted that I know I have somebody for, I’ll send that person out. But I post every job [to the Network] as soon as I get it! People call me for information about the job, and that’s been the key to my success.”
Who are the Trading Partners you’ve been working with?
“I’ve worked with and are working with Bob Gabor, Ken Nunley, Eric Berg, David Smith, Art Rogrove, Chris Ramsay, Frank Gregg, and some others. I’ve developed relationships with these people beyond just ‘tell me about the candidate and send me the resume.’ I know them as people, and I’ve let them know me as a person. I’m not calling an affiliate, I’m calling a friend, and that’s why it works. I’ve made a lot of friends in the Network.
“Develop relationships and it will come. Don’t be afraid to put your jobs or candidates on [the Network]. You have to trust in the system. A lot of people look at it sideways, like they’re going to get screwed. Every day, when Wal-Mart opens its doors, somebody walks out with a hair dryer or something else. People are people. Don’t let that 1% taint your relationship with the other 99%. You have to trust the people you work with.”
How would you describe the activity level in your niche? (Sunshine places Manufacturing and Engineering professionals.)
“My niche is going very well. It’s come back. This is my 33rd year in recruiting. I’ve been through five recessions, and this one was by far the worst one.”
What are your goals for future production in the Network?
“I just want to keep it going. I had a good year [in 2012]. I don’t look at the size of the check, I just look at the check. I know it’s going to even out in the end. A $10,000 split placement is as dear to me as a $17,000 non-split placement. The money will be there; you just have to keep working the system.”
What other advice would you give to a new Preferred Member recruiter just starting out?
“You have to stick to the basics: plan your day, get on the phone, and speak to people. Action begats action, and that leads to placements.
“When I started in this business, Tony Bruno was the corporate trainer for the firm I worked for, Professional Career Development. He also lived down the block from me, and we became good friends. Tony taught me the fundamentals of the business, and every time I try to get fancy or find a shortcut that goes against what I learned 33 years ago, I fall on my butt.”