11 Things You Should Do If You Place Healthcare Contractors
(Editor’s Note: This is the next in a series of guest blog posts about contract staffing, courtesy of Top Echelon Contracting, the recruiter’s back-office solution. Similar posts will appear in future issues of The Pinnacle Newsletter Blog.)
There is a huge demand for healthcare professionals as the American population continues to age. To achieve workforce flexibility, many healthcare providers are filling their open positions with contractors. This creates a tremendous opportunity for recruiters who can work this niche.
If you place healthcare contractors, though, you need to take extra care to qualify healthcare contractors and take steps to protect your firm from liability.
Failing to handle healthcare contract placements properly could result in severe consequences for your clients, their patients, and the employer (which is YOU if you run your own back-office).
To avoid problems, be sure that you or your contract staffing back-office:
1. Have a Certificate of Insurance that includes sufficient medical professional liability insurance.
2. Run background checks and drug screenings on every healthcare contractor.
3. Have healthcare contractors sign a HIPPA Agreement stating that they understand and will comply with the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA).
4. Verify their immunizations, specifically Hepatitis B and Tuberculosis.
5. Verify that they have any required licenses and that those licenses are up-to-date.
6. Conduct an OIG/HHS (Medicare Fraud) Search.
7. Conduct an Excluded Parties List System Search (EPLS).
8. Conduct Bloodborne Pathogens training and testing.
9. Have contractors complete occupation-specific skills checklists.
10. Verify their CPR training and certification.
11. Conduct FBI fingerprinting if the contractor will have contact with children.
Instead of handling these extra tasks yourself, you may want to consider outsourcing the employment of your healthcare contractors to a contract staffing back-office, such as Top Echelon Contracting.
We conduct the tasks listed above on all of our professional healthcare contractors, and we recently expanded the types of healthcare placements we can handle. To find out if we can handle your healthcare placement, call us at (888) 627-3678.
— — —